Tuesday, October 26, 2010

BAN THE BAKING BAN!

Arriving at 2:03 yesterday at my daughter's school for her 2:00 cupcake party, I almost bypassed the office to check in, but at the last second veered left. Oh, what a mistake! I was told I could not bring my homemade cupcakes into the classroom. I must confess, I knew the policy, but last year decided it was a foolish rule, one I needn't abide by, and I got away with it. I think the kindergarten teacher turned a blind eye.

I couldn't believe it! It had been a day of sheer craziness (but with so many rewards too - like taking Ellie and Anna to Ferdinand the Bull at the Capitol theater and Red Robin after - priceless!) I was juggling one sick kid at my mom's (who is still incapacitated from foot surgery), I had to get my kids and the neighbor kids home to quickly transition to the next activity, wrap gifts, get dinner started, blah blah blah, we all know it...Anyways, it was all flowing relatively smoothly, (well my bumper was hanging off the front of my car and at some point I lost it entirely. Kinda retraced steps, but didn't really have time...who needs a bumper anyways??) until I was Heisman-ed at the front door of HM Gilbert Elementary. Can you imagine facing 27 (class size bit of a concern, but anti homemade baking policy more so) toothless first graders eagerly awaiting their afternoon treat? They were sitting so patiently (well minus the 15 boys who never sit. EVER.) with napkins at the ready. Oh, I almost burst into tears! My sweetest L who has been UNBELIEVABLE handled it all in good grace and I will be returning with lardcakes at 3:00 today.

So, here is the letter I wrote. I think instead of writing a letter to my local newspaper about supporting my favorite candidate (Michelle Strobel), I will send my letter instead. BAN THE BAKING BAN!

Good Morning,

I am writing this letter in hope that you will revisit Gilbert School's policy of not allowing home-baked goods. I understand this is NOT a district policy, as I have friends and relatives who bake for their kids' classrooms at both Nob Hill and Discovery Lab.

As you can imagine, I was disheartened yesterday when I wasn't allowed to bring my healthy (healthier!) homemade cupcakes into Ellie's classroom. I understand I should have researched it more fully, but I would still disagree with the policy. I was even more disheartened to visit the local grocery store chain and purchase cupcakes with unrecognizable ingredients.

My first concern is that in a nation filled with overweight kids, we are sending the entirely wrong message in discouraging parents to bake their own treats. Even a box mix of cupcakes is healthier than the trans-fat laden options at the store.

The quality time parents can spend with their children baking is not only a wonderful way to connect with our kids, but models healthy eating choices as well. By encouraging kids to explore and familiarize themselves with the kitchen at an early age, it sets the stage for developing cooking skills as they mature. One of my favorite activities is cooking with my daughters. They love it! It is rewarding in every possible way, not the least of which is creating something to share with others.

I am fully aware of the concern we have for children with nut allergies. Having a nephew who suffers from a peanut allergy, I know which products contain nuts, or are produced in a factory where nut products are manufactured. Because of the prevalence, I believe the majority of other parents do as well. Serving kids packaged treats is far riskier. There are so many more ways to contaminate.

The cost for pre-packaged treats is so much greater than making something at home. A box mix of cupcakes can be purchased for a $1. I spent $16 for cupcakes that I am not sure even qualify as cupcakes.

Lastly, the packaging goes straight to the landfill. 3 additional plastic containers unnecessarily wasted.

Please reconsider this policy! There are so many more reasons TO allow homemade treats than not.

Sincerely,
Megan Tweedy

2 comments:

  1. what an utterly insane policy. fight the good fight megs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are such a good mom. i'm with Katie, keep up the good fight!

    ReplyDelete